Tel:  (416) 520-6120
(To 11pm 7days/week)
Fax: (416) 222-4277

8 Toronto Area Law Offices Providing Legal Services in ONLY
Residential Real Estate, Title Insurance, Wills, Notary Services

Click for Locations & Maps
Click to Email Us
Office Hours
of Canada
Value Added Services FINTRAC *** HST *** Testimonials Home
Instant Quotation
About Us
8 Office Locations
Free Condo Status Review
Free Power of Attorney
Title Insurance
Existing Owner Title Insurance
First Time Home Buyers
Tax Credit
Electronic Registrations and
Choosing a Lawyer
Useful Forms and Offer Clauses
Principal Residence
Home Renovation Tax Credit
Land Transfer Tax: Ontario
Land Transfer Tax Refund: Ontario
Land Transfer Tax: City of Toronto
The Brick / Tasco
Notary Services
Closing Adjustments
HST Rebates: When Buying From Builder
Mortgage Financing
RRSP Program
Landlord + Tenant matters
Small Claims Court
TARION: New Home Warranty
Types Of Ownership
Insurance: 3 Types
SURVEYS: Are they required?
Condo Rules
Condo Act Changes
Buying Condo from a
Builder: Watch out..
If you are selling...
If you are buying...
Key On Closing
Title Transfer
Moving Check List
Privacy Information
Copyright and Disclaimer
Contact Us/Comments
Top of Page

Tax Free Capital Gain

In Canada, generally any profit on the sale of a principal residence is a tax free capital gain and any expenses incurred in the carrying costs (or costs incurred on a sale) are NOT tax deductible.

To qualify as a principal residence, generally, the following requirements must be satisfied:

  1. The unit must be a residential housing unit; and

  2. The unit must be solely or jointly owned with another person; and

  3. At some point in time in the year (there being no minimum time period, being only based on whether the unit was in fact ordinarily occupied for any period and not being occupied merely for the purpose of gaining or producing income) in which the property was sold, the unit must have been lived in by the owner or the owner's current or former spouse or common law partner or by any of the owner's children. If during the year in which the unit was sold, the unit was vacant, but was occupied in the year prior to sale, it can still be considered the sale of a principal residence if an appropriate election is filed - IT-120R6; and

  4. The property is designated as a principal residence (see Canada Revenue Agency website at and see also (IT-120R6).

NOTE: Generally, the value of land adjacent to the home, in excess of 1.24 Acres (1/2 hectare) will not be included as part of a principal residence unless such excess land was reasonably required for the use of the principal residence. Farms have special rules as noted in IT-120R6.



Top of Page
Free Quotation Existing Owner Title Insurance | Wills
Notary Services | Free Power of Attorney | Free Condo Status Review
Incredible Hours | Free Parking | About Us | Testimonials | Home Page

Stephen H. Shub Professional Corporation
Barrister, Solicitor, Notary
(Head Office) 5799 Yonge St. #803, Toronto, Ontario Canada M2M 3V3
Tel: (416) 520-6120 • Fax: (416) 222-4277 •

Copyright © 1999 and 2017 Stephen H. Shub. All Rights Reserved.
(See Copyright and Disclaimer)